The Homeschool conference is probably my favorite time of year. It is packed full of fun, hard work, and an abundance of Gods love! Although I am rather disappointed the conference is over, I've made many new friendships that I am excited about!!!
Obviously, my view on homeschooling is an absolute "YES" when it comes to choosing education options for children. But why? Why am I so in agreement with, Lord willing, homeschooling my children someday?
Homeschooling isn't all about the three R's. Yes, you must know how to do math, it's very important to be able to read aswell as write.
But there is something so much more important that is much harder for a child to get in public and even christian schools. That is Good Character. . My parents homeschool us not so we can have a better education, but for good character.
Here is a list of good Character traits that the Lord commands us to have:
·Love for others (John
13:1; 15:13; 1 Corinthians 13:3) What better way to learn to love others than to be with your family all day, every day!
· Joy (Proverbs 15:13; John 15:11; 17:13)
· Patience (Matthew 27:14;
Romans 12:12; James 1:3,12) It is a good thing to learn Patience! Little siblings (and older ones) are the best way to learn. :)
· Gentleness (Isa. 40:11; Phil. 4: 5; 2 Timothy 2:24; 1 Thess. 2:7)
· Humility (Luke 22:27; Phil. 2:8; 1 Peter 5:3-5)
· Courage (Deuteronomy 31:6; 1 John 4:4)
· Friendship (Proverbs 27:17) Making your siblings your best friends is amazing! If you can be best friends with them, you can probably get along with pretty much anyone else.
· Honesty & Truthfulness (2 Cor. 8:21; Ephesians 4:25)
· Responsibility (Romans 14:12)
· Contentment (Rom. 9:19-21; Phil. 4: 10-13; 1
Tim. 6:6-9)
· Purity & Holiness (Matt. 5:8; Phil. 4:8; 1 Tim. 1:5; 5:22;
James 4:8)
· Encouragement (Psalm 119:28; 143:3; Matt. 3:17; John 14:1; 1 Thess. 5:11-14)
· Availability (Mark 1:17-18; Acts
16:10) Homeschooling makes you available to serve others! When needs come up, you can meet those needs!
· Attentiveness (Hebrews 2:1)
· Wisdom (1 Kings 3:9; Psalm 119:97-98)
· Thoughtfulness (Philippians 2:4)
· Obedience (Deut. 13: 4; Prov. 19:16; John 14:14; 15:14; 2
Corinthians 10:5)
· Avoiding anger (James 1:19)
· Being a Good Example (1 Pet 2:21-2; 1 Pet
2:12,15,17)
· Childlike Faith (Mt. 18:2-4; 34)
· Communicating (1 Timothy
4:12)
· Conviction(Daniel 1:8)
· Deference (Romans 14:21) is being willing to bend personal freedom for the respect and esteem of others.
· Devotion (Colossians 3:2)
· Godly Priorities (Matthew 6:33)
· Grace (Psalm 94:11; James 4:6)
· Respectful (1 Thess. 5:13-13)
· Submissive (Ephesians 5:21)
· Selflessness (Titus 2:14)
· Servant/Leadership (Luke 22:26
· Virtue (Col. 3:12-17)
For my family and I, being home with our parents all day, is the best way for us to learn good character.
One of my favorite things is to serve the homeschool community (and future homeschoolers) at the MPE conference! I went to bless people, but I was the one that ended up blessed! Working with amazing homeschool teens for 3 days in a row, setting up the conference, working the conference, playing games into the late hours of the night with people I wish I saw more often, getting up at 5am Friday and Saturday, seeing friends whom I haven't seen in awhile, cleaning up the conference, pizza party on Saturday evening, going home exhausted, and everything in-between! Those are the things that make the weekend fun! But the most important thing is that our Savior guided each and every second to further His Kingdom and bring each family closer to Him! Praise The Lord for all of His wonderful works He did this weekend! I can't wait until next year!



Good post Kallie!
ReplyDeleteIn several of the workshops I went to ,I heard this same principle, that it is not so much about the academics as it is learning how to love and glorify God in our entire life many times.
As one person phrased it "It's not really homeschooling as much as it is home-discipleship". =)
~Jenny