Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Lil' Eyes watchin you!

Katie. That's her name. A 'big girl' who meant the world to me! When I was around 5 years old, I met an older girl (who was probably 9 or 10 at the time). She went to our church and I remember thinking she was awesome! She was different from other 'big kids' because of one main reason. She didn't ignore the little ones, but rather made friends with the little ones. It was really special! (Really really special considering I remember it all the way back from when I was only 5). Now here is the reason I bring this up.

You, if you're reading this, you are a 'big kid' in the eyes of the little ones! Whether you like it or not, there are many little eyes looking up at you. Watching your every action.

You have a very important job. You are not only choosing to welcome the little ones into your life, but also setting an example for them of what a 'big kid' should be like.
Including a little one (me) in what she enjoys. :)
I always wanted to be like Katie, yet there were some kids that were, let's face it, plain mean to little ones. I had no desire to grow up and be like them.

In a dark generation, teenagers are expected to practically shun our siblings and other little ones from our life.   People of this world only expect that of us because.....they see it happening everyday! It's another one of those things where it's sadly considered normal.

Together, one by one, we should change this! In your mind, think of one little kid that you know (or know of) that has came up to you and said something cute. (example. "Here is a flower for you" -being it a weed.   "Look how fast I can run!" -Being not very fast.). How did you respond? I personally often find myself not responding in a way that encourages them, or simply just smiling and not saying anything else. This needs to change.

Here is a challenge for you! Make "friends" with a little one this month. Even being a sibling, ask them to go for a walk, bike ride, or push them on a swing. Encourage and build them up. You'll be amazed at how little kids look up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!